The journey of a magazine spread

So there it is. The finished spread. To be honest, I’m pretty proud of it. If anyone reading this is a harsh critic wondering why I would be proud of that it might help to see my first draft.

Ew right? Obviously a lot of changes were made so I’m gonna go through one at a time and explain exactly how this project evolved.

Audience

First lets talk about who this design is for. The article I picked was from The Scroll which is the school news paper for BYU Idaho. Therefore I thought of my audience in a very general sense as the whole BYUI student body. The only problem with that is the huge range of people that encompasses. I decided in order to appeal to all I needed a more neutral color palette. Earthy tones seemed appropriate to me since the article discussed construction taking place on campus. They also worked well with the grey storm clouds on my title page.

Typography

I’m a sucker for a sans serif font. They always have just looked cleaner and easier on the eye to me. That’s why on my revisions I decided to bring some unity by making the title and the article the same font. I saved my serif font for my pull quote and article headings.

Photography

The photograph on my title page was honestly mostly luck. I was in a building on campus one gloomy day and saw that view out a window. I decided to snap a photo and ended  up with a beautiful landscape of campus that I later realized would work perfectly with the article I’d chosen for this project. I tried to use the rule of thirds to make the photo more interesting by keeping both buildings off to the side. The sign was a picture I took specifically for this project. When I took it I thought I might use leading lines from the side of the sign to line up with my text but the project required a word wrap which made accomplishing that difficult.

Color

I briefly mentioned my color choices earlier but wanted to explain a little more in depth the changes from draft to final. In the draft I had simply made all three pages have their own background colors but I wanted a little more unity. I decided that the triangles of color I put in the final make the two pages work together a lot better. I also decided to use some color to make my title a little more contrasting.

 

So like everything in life there’s still more I could improve. I met the requirements in a way that really satisfies me and is a huge improvement over my draft, though. So at the end of the day I’m proud of what I made.

 

Original Photographs

All photographs were taken by Evan Peterson in the Spring 2017 semester at BYUI

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s